27 June 2010

Irish Baby

After some heckling from a particular aunt and some of my own heckling, I am finally posting again. I told myself I would post at least once a week and well, I've failed that already. I would love to post two or three times but I don't think our lives are that interesting enough to post all the time. I'm sure you feel the same way and thank me. So, without much to report, here is what we have been up to.

Thursday was Luke's six month well-baby check-up and he is in great health thankfully. He weighed 17lbs and 8oz and was 26.25 inches long. He is in the upper 40th percentile for weight, height and head size (I forgot to ask why they always measure the head) so just a hair below average. He gained the most weight around four months and tapered off at six months. He received four vaccinations, three shots and one orally. He didn't even notice the first jab in the leg and the second and third triggered his Irish redness to come through. His face started to glow like a tomato and let out a big wail of a cry. The nurse was very quick so I was able to comfort him immediately and he calmed down. Thankfully after watching him get shots at his two, four and now six month appointments, I have developed a higher tolerance for it. Yes, I got tears in my eyes when he first got shots at two months. I was NOT expecting him to cry so hard at that appointment. I had never heard him cry like that before and it broke my heart. I certainly do not like watching him get the shots and cry but I know it's for the best and tell myself to suck it up. Luke is the one getting the shots! I guess it just reminds me of when I was in the hospital for Luke's birth and they gave me a shot in my thigh muscle and my response was, "OUCH! That really hurt!" The nurse said, "Yeah, that's why I didn't want to tell you beforehand." Nice. I know what Luke feels like.

Jamie is in Wolverine, Michigan this weekend (left on Thursday morning) for a lumberjack show and will be home tomorrow morning. Luke and I have figured out how to get by by ourselves until Jamie returns, and then leaves again a few days later. I have been busy feeding him lots of "solid" food, and by solid I mean pureed veggies and fruit. He has been eating rice cereal for the past two months but just recently we have added veggies and he is really liking them. So far, we have made carrots, sweet potatoes, avocados and zucchini. He eats the carrots well, doesn't really enjoy the sweet potatoes (I think it's kind of blah for him) and LOVES the avocados. We are trying the zucchini tomorrow. I'm thinking he'll like those. Doctors now suggest giving one new food consecutively for at least three days to see if the child has an allergic reaction so it takes a while to get into all the food. I can't foresee him being allergic to any vegetable but it's better to be safe than sorry. I have the pears ripening on the counter though so he can have those in a few days! We purchased a new chest freezer (I told you our lives are not exciting) so I'm excited to store all his food in there and hit up Costco and stock it full with goodies for us. I am going to have to resist getting ice cream from the Schwann's man though.

Luke has been sitting up on his own now more than ever. He can sit for a couple minutes before he topples over to the side or backwards. He likes putting everything from toys to toes in his mouth.



See??



Nothing beats Great-Grandma O'Brien putting Luke to sleep outside.


Haha!! I wonder what he was thinking with that face?!?


Of course, a dog is in the photo.


And another dog... with a really cute Luke!


See? He eats my shirt too.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Love,
Luke and Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment