24 October 2010

You have ears!

Jamie had his last show this weekend in Florida. He is still on his way home as I write; somewhere in Wisconsin I assume. While I enjoy my time with just Luke, I am really looking forward to Jamie being at home for MONTHS to spend some time together as a family again. Now that Luke is all over the place, fun to take places and changing so much every day, it will be fun to share those moments with Jamie instead of me grabbing my camera to try to catch that moment.

Luke and I had a good weekend. Besides that fact that we went to the doctor and he has his first ear infection, it was a really fun weekend. My cousin Meghan babysat Friday and Saturday night while I worked, otherwise it was Luke and I since Thursday am when Jamie left! On the other hand, I need an adult to talk to. Jack and Dino only listen so long before jumping off the couch to find a toy to chew and Luke has the attention span of about seven seconds. SO...I am going to rant.

At work last night, we were joking about writing a book about how to be a nice customer at a restaurant. EVERYONE eats out from time to time, but there are way too many people who don't have a clue. I don't want this to sound like I hate my job, hate people, or have an anger issue (I really like my job in fact, and people too! The anger issue on the other hand...haha). It's my blog and that's what part of this posting is about. Feel free to comment if you disagree or would like to add another. So here is the start to a list that could go on and on (in no particular order of course).

- If you don't want ice in the small glass of water that was brought to you, scoop it out with your fork or fingers, give them to your significant other or friend, or let it melt for a few minutes. It won't take long.
- Ordering Bleu cheese on the side of your salad is not a healthy salad. It's still bleu cheese!
- You are not the only table your server has.
- When the server comes to ask if there is anything else he/she can get you, say what you would like. Not when they return a moment later with someone's drink and you decide you are now thirsty.
- When a server walks up to the table to talk with you finish your sentence, and then stop talking. Do not continue your conversation while we awkwardly stands at the end of your table waiting for you to finish your story unsure if we should walk away and return later or just wait. You are at a restaurant to eat and enjoy each others company, not tell your life story.
- Your extra side of ranch dressing is not important. We give plenty.
- Do not ask the very-busy hostess to go find scissors, cut three flowers down that you brought in to put in shot glasses to place on your table because it is "Girl's Night" and you don't get out often. And when the hostess asks if you're serious, respond with, "I'll give $40, no $50 to do it. Or I will just go in back and do it." HA yeah, go try to go into a kitchen and see what the Chef will do. Yes, that happened last night.
- Be patient. If you order something, such as a glass of wine, and your server is still standing at the table taking your friend's order, do not wave your empty glass at them and say you need more a minute later. Duh, you just said that and I haven't left yet. We don't carry bottles of wine in our apron. And that happened a few months ago. Really lady??
- Tip accordingly. If your service sucked, you can always say something to the server or manager. If your service is great, tip accordingly. We are working for tips and try hard at every table. And while compliments are nice, we would rather have your money; that doesn't mean you can tip lower. Compliments don't pay the bills unfortunately. Give both!
 - We love tables that talk with us and have fun. Make a joke, it breaks the ice for us to know we can do that same with you and it will make the experience much more enjoyable...unless our jokes stink of course. :)
- Ask what the server would order or what looks good for the evening. Sometimes some items are better than other certain nights and it may help you.

I think that list is long enough for now. Thanks for listening. I feel better now. Again, please feel free to disagree or comment below. I would love to hear another perspective too.

Okay, back to Luke! Today, we went to church this morning (thankfully I avoided getting puked on by him unlike last week) and had a chair in the back reserved just for us! My dad graciously sat in it since we were running late as usual, but Mel, he's the best for reserving that. Mel and Luke are buds. We had a great breakfast with the family and then came home for a brief nap. After I cleaned Meghan's shirt (Luke closed his mouth while I was squirting his pink medicine into his mouth last night and it spray all over Meghan's white shirt. Oops!), we brought it over and played with Peggy, Meghan and John for a while. I felt like we were intruding their quite afternoon of homework, football and reading the paper, but I'm sure they didn't mind the interruption from homework! Luke learned to look under the table to find Peggy from playing peek-a-boo, it was really cute. After that, we went to Rosedale Mall to walk around and do a little shopping since it was gloomy outside. We found a cute pair of firetruck shoes for Luke. I wanted to find a pair that have a soft but firmer sole since he is walking more but his feet are too large for them, so we went with the soft sole. He isn't walking outside so these will work until he is walking well on his own outside.


Luke also decided to buy me some beautiful flowers! It was one bunch for $5 or three bunches for $10. One bunch looked too small, so Luke thought three bunches was good. The lady threw in a fourth bunch because she said all mom's deserve flowers. She is right! Thank you, Luke. I love them (even if he took the $10 from my wallet like a typical kid)! xoxo


I also checked out the Apple store as I am shopping for a new laptop and wanted to try the new MacBook Air. WOW is that computer small and light; I really liked it. The touch pad is amazing and very easy to use. The main differences are that the MacBook Air does not have a hard drive but instead a flash drive (available in 128GB or 250GB for the 13" screen), no CD drive and is a little bit more expensive for not as much RAM or space. I am still comparing which would be a better fit for me, the Air or a traditional MacBook. Decisions decisions! It's a good thing I like shopping and doing research since I have more money to save still. I am really excited for my new laptop, now I just have to be patient. Hopefully my genes from my mom will kick in versus my dad's patience genes. ;)

After our shopping trip and a brief nap on the way home, Luke and I played and chased each other around the living room for almost three hours! We were having so much fun playing peek-a-boo, tickling, reading books, playing with toys and the dogs. And it all started with giggly Luke at dinner.

 

He loves his new food options. Tonight he had one tiny blueberry waffle, shredded cheddar cheese, blueberries and grapes. Plus some pumpkin and banana pureed stuff too...but he likes feeding himself the best.
 

Haha this just makes me laugh!

 

He found a microphone to sing into!



Can't you just hear him screaming??


Bad flash, but cute boy! :)



Playing peek-a-boo


I see you Luke!


Peek-a-boo!!


He just melts my heart. 

By the way, the house/toy in the background that Luke was playing peek-a-boo with, is the BEST! It's the Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Playhouse and he plays with it everyday. I was tempted to take it away to change up his toys, but he loves it. And he still has not discovered everything on it yet. He has however, figured out if he stands on the backside and grabs the roof, he can rock and shake the whole piece...but it doesn't tip over! I highly recommend this toy for babies 6 months and up.

Have a great week and don't forget to use your new restaurant manners! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I need to lend you the book "Waiter Rant" it sounds just like you!

    ReplyDelete