28 August 2010

Step Back

I am from a family that owns and operates a funeral home where death is present and part of regular conversation, but when a sweet, young 7-year-old is the one who dies, it really hits me hard. A young girl named, Annie, passed away from meningitis this past week. I had never met Annie, but her mother was a Midwife at Stillwater Medical Group when I was pregnant with Luke and saw her a couple times when my OB wasn't available. Her mom is a very sincere, kind and gentle person, and her daughter looks just like her. People die every day, hopefully we don't know many of them because it is not easy to deal with. But this particular story is not fair.

I came home from work and read the obituaries like I do daily and found hers. My heart just broke. I couldn't help but begin to run everyone through my mind that I am so thankful for and especially Luke. As any parent will tell you, until you have children, you have not experienced love for someone like that and I think it is completely true. I could be with Luke all day when he's cranky, change his diaper every ten minutes and chase him all over the house and would be content because I am with him. He is my life and cannot fathom if something were to happen to him.

The funeral service was yesterday and as I drove to work in the evening, the streets from St. Michael's Church to the cemetery (about 7 blocks) were lined with pink balloons. Just like when you pass flowers, crosses and stuffed animals on the side of the road, it makes you take a step back to appreciate life.

With Annie on my mind, Luke and I went outside to have some fun and enjoy ourselves. We went to Teddy Bear Park and now that he can crawl, it was much easier, and fun!


 So bright!


 You can't be sleepy, we're at the park, buddy!!




Swinging at the park near our home.



He learned to crawl two weeks ago. He has already figured out how to pull himself up on things. Good thing he's a smart boy and went right for the toy basket!


He loves his ABC/Music table.


At our haven, The Adams' pool! We are signing the little man up for swimming lessons in mid-October. It's the Water Babies class that gets the munchkins used to water and splash around. I don't think Luke will mind, he loves the water and splashing!


Give your family an extra hug and kiss today and don't forget to say, "I love you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment